Friday, October 9, 2009

Arrived

When I landed in Nairobi, and walked out into the smoke scented nighttime air of the city, I knew I was in a place which I was no longer familiar with. My thoughts began to move to, "Oh my God, what am I doing here! Who am I?" It's was a helpless feeling, where you can't rely on what you know, but more, who will you rely on. Its that place in your life, where all you can do is pull HIM closer to you. Which is where He wants us.

I have been at RVA working with a team of 24 Kenyan men, many of which are Christians and love the Lord in a way which I'm still trying to understand, coming from America. I have one Guard named Nehemiah, I was walking with him one day and asking him about his life. He shared with me, that he helps take care of 21 kids with Hiv/Aids. I was floored, but more ashamed I guess. The pay in Kenya is very low, Nehemiah isn't rich, in fact he's poor. But even though Nehemiah is poor, he has a heart to help people who have even less than him, and in this case 21 kids with Hiv/Aids. He does this because of who God is in his life. He knows that God will provide for him to take care of these 21 Kids,,,, and God does....
I am so blessed to come alongside these men, help them, support them, train them and encourage them, to face this Raw Humanity, that God loves so much called Africa.

Thank you so much for reading this, I'm not a great writer, but am just trying to share my heart.

Your Prayers and Support are so very much appreciated, and I thank you all, for your help!

Dave

2 comments:

  1. Dave-O....

    thank you for the update.

    Nehemiah's story is great...and instead of building the wall, he's got the human-building thing going on. God bless him.

    The truth is, you've got that going on too. Building of new capabilities with our Kenyan friends and them sharing their lives and culture and friendship with you.....awesome.

    That's good stuff.

    Be blessed.

    Fred

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave,

    I'm a close friend of Karen's and I am praying for you and this mission. Thank you for your "raw honesty" as it demonstrates the amazing ways God is working in your life and Nehemiah's.

    Look forward to more of your posts.

    God Bless You,
    Tanya

    ReplyDelete