Monday, February 22, 2010

Thika, Nairobi, Kijabe Town


To live by grace means to acknowledge my whole life story, the light side and the dark. In admitting my shadow side I learn who I am and what God's grace means."
B.M.
So sorry its been a while since my last blog, life in Kenya has been going great, but very hectic. About 4 weeks go, an unknown sickness began to spread through the students and staff of RVA. Nine blood tests samples were sent to Nairobi to be tested. Eight of out of the nine samples, tested positive for the H1N1 Virus (swine flue). The school was very responsible and and took the appropriate actions to limit the exposure to other students and staff and also the community outside the gates of RVA. After it ran it course over about 3 to 4 weeks, close to 200 students were likely sick with the virus. Were now dealing with a contaminated water from our water wells. The school took quick action and installed more filtration systems at the bore hole sites to kill the bug that was in our water. However there're been some GI Track problems with some individuals. But its seems to be getting better.  So its bottled water for us, as it is in most of Kenya anyway LOL. 
A few weeks ago, I went to Kijabe town about 4 miles from RVA where one our the Security staff lives.  His name's John, he's a Baptist Pastor in town. He showed me his house and the land around it. There was about 2 acres. I asked him why he isn't planting a shamba "garden" in that acreage. He told me, he can't afford to have a tractor cultivate the land,  and has no money for seeds. John's 9 year old daughter has a long term illness, and much of his money goes to her medial bills.   We were able to get a tractor there last week, and the land has been cultivated.  John and his family will be planting Corn and Beans and a few other vegetables which will help his family, as well as other people from his church and the community. 
This last Christmas, my family decided not to give any Christmas gifts to other family members, but instead the money which would have be spent on gifts, would now go to a Water Project in Thika, Kenya.  I've talked a little about John Njane who has become a friend of mine. His sister died last November, which left 6 children orphaned.  John's mother is trying to take care of all the kids which range in ages from 3 to 17. There's  about 3 family homes very close to each-other,  and there are other homes in the area. Clean water is such a huge need in Kenyan's as it is for everyone.  Last week some materials were delivered to begin construction of the Water System.  This system will redirect the rain  water from the roofs of the homes, into a 5 thousand gallon holding tank. The water stays clean and good for almost up to  1 year in this tank. 


My time here has gone so fast. I've learned so much from the Kenyan's and who God is to many of their life's.   But also I've  learned more of who God is to me, and I begin to understand a little more of His HUGE Love, that love which is constant, despite me.  He Is So Good!   


I'll be doing more blogs and adding more pictures shortly. 


I'll also be flying out of Nairobi on April 4th and will be back into California on the 5th.  
Thank you all for your prayers and support.
God Bless
Dave


No comments:

Post a Comment