Sunday, February 28, 2010

Not just a drought of rain, but leadership



Hi friends and family, I just wanted share with you some thoughts on Kenya. I've so enjoyed being here. I will stay connected to Kenya !


Its Sunday morning here in Kenya. I've got my window open, hearing the barks of baboon's and colobus monkey's off in the distance, mixed with the occasional honk of a distinctive horn from a matatu (african taxi).  
Its a constant reminder, I'm not in the U.S.  I woke up last night hearing the rain hit the roof of my house, its a welcome sound. The sessional rains, which used to be so predictable, for some reason have become illusive and hard to predict. Just one, of the many struggles for Kenya here.  
Droughts are not necessarily confined to weather and rain. After living here the last 6 to 7 months, I've noticed another drought which has become so evident. Its a drought of leadership, "Alan Keith of Genenteck" states that, "Leadership is ultimately about creating a way for people to contribute to making something extraordinary happen" And  "John Maxwell' sums up his definition of leadership as "leadership is influence - nothing more, nothing less." This moves beyond the position defining the leader, to looking at the ability of the leader to influence others - both those who would consider themselves followers, and those outside that circle. Indirectly, it also builds in leadership character, since without maintaining integrity and trustworthiness, the capability to influence will disappear.


There's a great need for these type of leaders here. The need to equip them, support them, be with them in their visions to move beyond, build and change.
I've been encouraged meeting and working with some Kenyan's who are true leaders, and have a passion for their poor, the sick, the people that are treated as if they were disposable. The passion I see in these leaders is active, moving and compassionate. These are the people I've been fortunate to work with, come alongside, helping them advance there vision. Please pray for these leaders and future leaders



1 comment:

  1. Praise God you are able to bring us this message. Keep up the writing. Praying for safety and encouragement. :)

    ReplyDelete